Thursday, July 26, 2012

All Things Baseball

Owen has spent the entire summer obsessed with baseball. If he wasn't playing, he was watching games, practice swinging and pitching (in restaurants and stores), practicing his umpire voice calling strikes and balls, reading about the history of baseball, learning about the Hall of Famers, and debating with himself and anyone who will listen about who the best players are. Who's better Sandy Koufax or Nolan Ryan? We were just introduced to Strat-O-Matic too. Now he can simulate games with the hall of famers to find out who really is the best. I wonder if this will continue into the fall, or if the debates will change to football? - N

Me and my mom got a new game. It’s called Strat-O-Matic. It’s like a game you use baseball cards and you get to pick your team. My team was Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Johnny Bench, Mickey Mantle, Ricky Henderson, Honus Wagner, Mike Schmidt and my two pitchers were Sandy Koufax and Dizzy Dean who hit a home run in the very last inning as a pitcher. It didn’t make sense. My favorite Hall of Famer ever, ever, ever, I would say would have to be Willy Mays. I don’t know why, but it’s just Willy Mays. Well I’ll give you a list of my favorite 10 Hall of Famers.
1.      Willy Mays
2.      Honus Wagner
3.      Dizzy Dean
4.      Ryne Sandberg
5.      Sandy Koufax
6.      Lou Gehrig
7.      Babe Ruth
8.      Mickey Mantle
9.      Ty Cobb
10.     Mel Ott
I’ve read books about baseball. There is Every day Baseball’s Best, Babe and Me, The Book of Baseball Literacy, and True Stories of Hall of Famers, and The Chronicle of Baseball. All of the books I like and I’ve learned that some people that I never thought were in the Hall of Fame are in the Hall of Fame. Like, what’s that guy's name again? Cal Ripken Jr. That’s his name. Here are the top 5 teams that have won the most World Series.
1.      Yankees
2.      Cardinals
3.      Athletics
4.      Red Sox
5.      There’s a lot of them that had six. But I’m going to go with the Reds because that’s my favorite team.

No comments:

Post a Comment